Monday, December 7, 2009

Rubbish, rallying and real estate...


This week has been all about the 3Rs...

1. Rubbish – to celebrate International Volunteer Day on Saturday we all went off to (one of) the smelliest parts of the Yamuna River to help clean it up. Keen as a button we trooped off the coach in our matching ‘I’m a volunteer’ t-shirts to be greeted by one very big stench. The morning mist that was rolling off the river actually turned out to be pure methane gas. The river literally bubbles away like a witch’s brew. More gas get’s released as you start picking embedded rubbish out of the bank. Donning thin blue plastic gloves we got digging and then got papped. The national press were down in full force snapping away and I think as the token Europeans (and blondes!) we were hot property. Much to my ego’s joy, Lucy (a fellow volunteer) and I, made Page 5 of The Sunday Express - a half page pic under the title ‘The Muck Stops Here’... I don’t know if the heading is a compliment or if my modelling career is now only limited to rubber gloves and cleaning products but a fun day was had by all!

2. Rallying – onto another important day, on Wednesday to mark International Disability Day we went down to an organised peaceful rally by India Gate. India Gate is an impressive landmark, an imitation Arc du Triomphe. Against the backdrop around 2,000 supporters turned up. The majority were from the deaf community, it was fascinating to watch such a lively group so well represented and to watch my roommate Jen signing so fluently. We could not understand why there was limited representation from other areas of the disabled community. As disability is such a taboo and seen as shameful we realised mobility was a huge issue and many people would be unable to leave the house to do basic things let alone afford transport to the event.

3. Real Estate – the trials and tribulations carries on with our endless search for our dream pad. We are up to flat viewing #21 which is very painful. Delhi is notorious for being very difficult to find decent accommodation. We lost a lovely flat earlier in the week and just trying to see it as fate, so fingers crossed that the Property Gods decide to smile down on us in the next few days, I’m very keen to start work and get some routine in my life now. I think one of the reasons you do VSO is to escape the mundane routine of life at home, but it’s made me realised having a home is so important – so cross fingers and toes and hopefully by next week we will be moving in somewhere!

Highlights: keeping a sense of humour at all times particularly when house hunting ( I think if I need to have a second career as a film location scout for dodgy flats I already have enough locations on my books), finally getting rid of my cold (the change in temperature from day to night by about 20 degrees does not help fight the bugs), afternoon tea with fellow volunteers (particularly home baked scones), enjoying meat and fish (breaking my vegetarian vow at the VSO party on Saturday night was worth it – the craving for steak has started...) starting to sleep through the noise (only needing ear plugs for 50% of the night is giving me hope for a full night’s sleep soon), messing about by the river (it was great to be finally doing what I am here to do and be up on a Saturday morning volunteering, doing a bit for the planet and my media profile of course!).

No comments:

Post a Comment